Wednesday, July 17, 2013

thirty-five things


/1/  Today is my birthday.

/2/  I'm 35.

/3/  My mom calls me every year on this day at 5:48 p.m., at the exact minute I was born. Never fails.

/4/  Speaking of my mom, she had to cancel a tennis date on the day I was born.

/5/  I have two younger brothers.


/6/ They are tall.

/7/  One of them celebrates his birthday the day after me. It makes my phone call to him on his birthday pretty short, because we already spent time chit-chatting on my birthday, when he called me. I always feel like he gets cheated because of that.

/8/ The other one gets his birthday month all to himself. I wonder sometimes if he's glad about that, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't care. At all.

/9/  Two years ago I turned 33 in Peru.


/10/  Ten years ago I turned 25 on the day I closed on my very first home purchase.

/11/  I don't have a lucky number, per se, but I do claim 7 as my favorite number. It's in my birth month, date, and year. And it was my volleyball jersey number in high school.

/12/  I am a little superstitious about odd numbers being preferential to even ones. In school, I'd much rather be graded a 95 than a 98. And I have never felt great that of the five addresses I've had as an adult, only one of them has had an odd street number.

/13/  It's why I'm excited to be 35, rather than 34. And that it's 2013, instead of 2012. It's a good time for me.

/14/  I have this crazy phobia of styrofoam.

/15/  Cheese is my favorite food, but cheesecake is not my favorite dessert.

/16/  Carrot cake is. Dense, homemade ones are best.


/17/  I run so that I can eat cheese and carrot cake. But more cheese.

/18/  I've run two half-marathons, which is basically a full. In my head it is, anyway.

/19/  My awesome sister-in-law has run a for-real full marathon, but that's not why she's awesome. It's just one of the awesome things she's done.

/20/  I've worked for the same boss since I was 22.

/21/  In the very first company retreat I attended, there were about six people there. This was us last month:


/22/  Sometimes I wonder what it's like to work with people you don't like. I can't relate.

/23/  Cooking is therapeutic for me.

/24/  I have a few go-to, repeat recipes, but mostly I like to try new ones.

/25/  When I was little, my friends and I were all the time planning dance routines to showcase, or duets to sing for an audience our parents. I don't know what happened along the way, but I really hate the limelight as an adult.

/26/  I don't even like to play Charades.

/27/  I have never broken a bone.

/28/  But I sure have taken some tumbles and have the scars to prove it.


/29/  I sleep every night with my two baby blankets. They travel everywhere with me. Shameless.

/30/  Even though it's an even number, I quite enjoyed turning 30. And I never dread getting one year older.

/31/  On my 17th birthday, I got my ears pierced, gifted to me by my cousin Emily.

/32/  The piercing lady told me my ears weren't even, and then made the hole in my left ear a little lower on that lobe, so that earrings hang evenly. I have mixed feelings about this.

/33/  I am a serious introvert, working in an extroverted job. Many days, going home to silence is my greatest reward.

/34/  My birthday celebration this year is lasting days. I am so grateful for the people who love me so well!

/35/  I'm hopeful this year is my best yet. And it's an odd year, so that bodes well.

3 comments:

  1. I love this Robyn -- I call my son at exactly 5:55 p.m. (time he was born) every year on his birthday. That is too funny. Hope you had a marvelous day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kris! It's been a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giggles on #32. I have mixed feelings about this as well.

    ReplyDelete