Friday, July 5, 2013

a sweet fourth

After the Peachtree yesterday, I consumed about a million calories of Fourth of July goodies. My contributions to the menu were two desserts, both of which have served as trusty go-to's at one point or another over the last few years.

These Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies will make you climb the walls they're so sweet. But oh, they are worth it. And you can cut them into tiny bite-size pieces to make yourself feel better about yourself if you'd like.

Once I'd committed to making those, I felt like a fruity option might be a nice alternative offering. I don't know why we feel like desserts need to be "lighter" -- I think it defeats the purpose, really -- but just in case, this trifle is a favorite in my family that comparatively qualifies as a lighter dessert.

I stumbled on this recipe years ago, and I felt very proud of myself when my mom asked for a copy. (Is anyone else validated when their mom asks for a recipe? Just me? Oh.)

The English Trifle calls for whipped heavy cream as the topper, which was a challenge for Mom. She had a time getting her cream to whip, but she also couldn't remember what exactly she was whipping, so we just let her use Cool Whip and be done with it.

You can do that, too, of course, if Cool Whip is a standard in your desserts like it is my mom's. But personally, I like that the heavy whipping cream cuts the crazy-sweetness of everything else.

Regardless, your trifle will be festive and sweet, and will get better each day in the fridge.


English Trifle

1 box of white cake mix, baked according to package directions and cooled
2 pints fresh strawberries, sliced
1/4 c. white sugar
1 pint fresh blueberries
2 bananas
1/4 c. orange juice
1 (3.5 oz.) package instant vanilla pudding mix
2 c. milk
1 c. heavy whipping cream
slivered almonds, for topping
maraschino cherries, for topping

  1. Sprinkle sugar over sliced strawberries, and stir well. In another small bowl, slice bananas and toss with orange juice. Combine pudding mix with milk, and whisk until smooth. Cut cake into 1" cubes.

  2. In a trifle dish, layer half the cake cubes, half the strawberries, half the blueberries, and half the pudding. Repeat the layers in the same order.

  3. Using an electric mixer, whip the cream to stiff peaks and spread over the top of the trifle. Top with almonds and cherries before serving.

* If you're grocery shopping for this one, don't forget the ingredients that are listed on the box of the white cake.

* I don't take the time to be super-exact about the cake cubes. I usually score them, but then just use my hands and crumble it up as I go. So much more fun that way.

* If you can, this is best after at least a couple of hours in the fridge, if not overnight.

* I don't put the cherries on until right before serving; otherwise, they can kind of bleed and make the topping turn pink. No need to ruin the pretty white topping!

No comments:

Post a Comment