Sunday, April 21, 2013

why everyone should go to the masters

I spent last Saturday and Sunday at the Masters.


I have never swung a golf club in my life (barring putt-putt, of course), and I do not follow the sport. But I do have a bucket list of sporting events, and the Masters was on it.

Needless to say, when the opportunity arose, I snagged it, and I am now qualified to share these reasons why everyone should go to the Masters:

It really is as pretty as they say.
I've been told that grown women remove their shoes, just to feel the green blades of grass at Augusta National underneath their feet, and to see if it's real. That the course looks airbrushed, it's so pristine. And it is. No matter where you look, and from wherever you stand, beauty really does surround you.

The average person will never come closer to my mom's perfect egg salad, than at the Masters.
For my entire life, Mom has absolutely killed the art of egg salad. It was probably my favorite lunchbox staple, and dyed Easter eggs found greater purpose therein. On fresh, soft, white bread? Mm, perfection. And unless you know my mom and ask her to personally prepare some for you, you should go to the Masters and try theirs. It's close.

Sponsors do not hold the power stick.
One of my pet peeves in the modern sports era is the barrage of sponsor signage that detracts from the natural charm of any venue. At the Masters, though, there is not a corporate sponsor to be seen. In fact, even the fountain heads at the concession stands are labeled with a generic "Cola" or "Diet Cola," in the most traditional, serif font. The simplicity and purity of this place is incredible.

It may be the only place in Western civilization where cell phones are prohibited.
Do you remember what it was like to see thousands of people, none of whom are texting, tweeting, Facebook-ing, Instagram-ing, snapping a photo, or Google-ing? I didn't either until the Masters. It was glorious. And so freeing to not feel the technology pull.

Every single person working that event is happy to be there.
The first security guard to check my badge told me to "have a great day on the course." Golf shop attendants assured me that "it's gonna to be a beautiful day out there." Restroom attendants smiled, even as they checked "to be sure my stall was cleaned and the toilet was flushed." (Every time I went in, by the way!) It was a little bit like a sports version of Walt Disney World. It was a happy, happy place.

My expectations for this event were high, and even coming from a career where sporting venues and events are my "normal," those expectations were easily exceeded.

Thanks, Augusta National. You really are all you're cracked up to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment