Tuesday, April 16, 2013

oh, savannah

“For me, Savannah's resistance to change was its saving grace. The city looked inward, sealed off from the noises and distractions of the world at large. It grew inward, too, and in such a way that its people flourished like hothouse plants tended by an indulgent gardener. The ordinary became extraordinary. Eccentrics thrived. Every nuance and quirk of personality achieved greater brilliance in that lush enclosure than would have been possible anywhere else in the world.”
-- John Berendt, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

I spent three days last week in Savannah. Staying here always makes me nostalgic.


These trees always fool me into thinking their shade is immune to the humidity ...


... which it is not. But gosh, they're pretty.

I love the systematic brilliance that bore these squares.


But I can never keep them straight, or remember which is which.

Shops like these make me imagine the families who've run them for generations.


There's a cathedral downtown that makes me feel like I'm in Europe.


Savannah is absolutely eccentric and quirky, but it is Southern and charming and storied all at the same time.

And more than those things, a piece of my own story came out of that city. That's worthy of a little love, I'd say!

No comments:

Post a Comment