Tuesday, February 19, 2013

dream big

In our culture, kids are taught to dream big. That they can accomplish anything they set their sweet minds to.

It's a warm and fuzzy encouragement, and it comes from a good place. Parents want their children to feel empowered, confident, supported, and unstoppable. There's no shame in that; parents should be big, big fans of their kids.

Sometimes, frankly speaking, those dreams aren't realized. Sometimes circumstances get in the way, and sometimes poor decisions or consequences play a role.

No matter the reasons, if you're a believer that God is sovereign, and working all things together for His purposes and glory, then one day, you might ask yourself this:

Is there ever a time to let go of a dream?

I sure have that question.

Many years ago, I heard someone say that God isn't in the business of making our dreams come true, but He is in the business of changing our dreams into His dreams.

Perhaps a more biblically-based version of that sentiment is that we are called to be "transformed by the renewing of our minds" (Romans 12:2), and that following salvation, we are "renewed in knowledge in the image of [our] Creator" (Colossians 3:10).

That makes me think that our sanctification does, in fact, include the process of making our dreams, His dreams.

And if I know one thing about sanctification, it's that it hurts. It means surrendering, sacrificing, grieving and letting go.

Letting go of our own truths and exchanging them for the Truth of the great Author.

Letting go of our old self and putting on a new self.

Letting go of our past transgressions and being covered in grace.

And sometimes, letting go of dreams that we once dreamt, so that we can make room for a better one that God dreams for us.

Gracious Lord, I praise and bless you for dreaming big on my behalf. I confess that I hold too tightly to my selfish dreams, and I thank you for gently nudging me to accept your best for me. I am not worthy of being transformed into an image as beautiful as yours, but you are relentless in your pursuit of me anyway. Bless you, Father. Make your dreams, my dreams, and use me for your glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment