Wednesday, January 30, 2013

the things i listen to

Confession: When skimming a "What's on your iPod?" interview with a celebrity in People, I don't really recognize any of the songs.

I was borderline current on music in college, but that was even a stretch. These days, when I hear a tune that grabs me, I'll download it, but those are so few and far between.

I just do not listen to current music anymore. And in the last few years, I listen more to talk radio than music. (And I used to judge Dad for that. Oops.)

But do you know what really has my interest?

Podcasts.

Oh my word. I'm obsessed with them. Since last summer, I listen to them all the time.

I usually listen to one before I go to bed, if I'm not reading. I often listen to one while I'm running. And I always, always listen to several when I'm traveling, especially in the car.

Here are the ones I stream regularly (they're all free):

for my geeky fix

Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology
This is a new discovery of mine. Grudem is a professor of theology and authored the book, Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine. At the church where he attends, he taught this forever-long class, presenting every chapter in his book to average church members. He is super smart, but is so organized in his presentation of complicated concepts, even I can follow (usually). For anyone interested in biblical doctrine on an introductory level, check him out. Each lecture is about an hour.

for fun and encouragement

The Boundless Show
This is a ministry of Focus on the Family, specifically targeting single adults. The weekly podcast features a roundtable discussion on an interesting topic; a culture segment featuring an interview with an author, a musical artist, or a leader of sorts; and an "inbox" question, where a counselor weighs in on a relevant issue. Lisa Anderson is the show host, and I wish I could meet her. I think we'd be fast friends.

for solid teaching

The Village Church
Matt Chandler is a dynamic teacher of the Word. Do not even look this one up if you're wanting easy, fluffy preaching. This guy is no joke, and frankly, neither is the Scripture. You'll be challenged and convicted when you listen to his sermons.

The Church at Brook Hills
David Platt (you may know him from his book, Radical) is always a go-to. He also does not sugar-coat our beloved Gospel, but he serves up Truth with more humility than anyone I've heard. He's a pastor here in Birmingham, so it's good to give a shout-out for the locals.

honorable mentions

Focus on the Famly Daily Broadcast can target marriages and families more than I'm usually in the mood for, but it's sound wisdom. I check in with them every other week or so to see if any topics particularly stand out.

Midday Connection is hosted by Anita Lustrea, who is the quintessential radio host, to the point of annoying me. She also has good topics on occasion, but it has to be especially interesting for me to work through the cheese.

Is anyone else crazy about podcasts like me? Share your recommendations. I've got plenty of drive time!

No comments:

Post a Comment