Wednesday, January 2, 2013

the chocolate chip pie that almost eluded me in 2012

Back in Athens, our next door neighbors are generous people, and they share some dish of baked goodness every year at Christmas time.

For many years in a row, it was a chocolate chip pie, which was new to me when they brought it over that first time. It started off tasty, and since I only had it once a year, it grew tastier with every passing Christmas.

They say absence makes the tasty tastier. 

(Not really. But it's true.)

This year, our generous neighbors -- bless them -- elected to share the Christmas cheer with a different dish, and so the chocolate chip pie was missed, indeed.

If I missed their chocolate chip pie, does that make me less grateful?

For New Year's Eve dinner, I needed a delicious, easy dessert that appealed to the lovely Nikol, and since my chocolate chip pie hankering remained yet unsatisfied in 2012, I decided to whip one up myself.

As it turns out, the recipe I chose is published by the one and only Nestle Toll House, and it was far superior to the last one I attempted (let that be a lesson to go straight to the source of all things chocolate chip).

Chocolate Chip Pie

1 unbaked 9" deep dish pie shell (I used Pillsbury's refrigerated version)
2 large eggs
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. chopped nuts (I used walnuts, but I bet pecans are equally delicious)
vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup for topping
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

  2. Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl on high speed, until foamy. Beat in flour, white sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in butter. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts by hand. Spoon into pie shell.

  3. Bake 50-55 minutes.

  4. Serve topped with ice cream and chocolate syrup.
*You can make this ahead, and warm up each slice for 10-15 seconds before serving.

I've heard others call this a Derby Pie (can someone explain to me the difference?) -- whatever floats your boat -- but no matter how you slice it, this could not be easier, and even the pickiest of eaters will delight in its goodness.

Do you have a sweet treat that you look forward to every Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment