Thursday, May 24, 2012

thankful thursday #79

DMV.

If those three letters together don't evoke in you a significant rise in blood pressure, count yourself fortunate and blessed.

Five years ago when I moved to Birmingham, I spent a total of eight hours, over a period of two days, at the Jefferson County Department of Revenue.  (The reminder that I was paying for this nonsense was salt in the wound.)

The inefficiency and attitude I witnessed made me swear I was living in an alternate universe.  Where was America the Beautiful in all this?  It was outrageous.

On Tuesday, I was renting a car for a work trip, and the nice man at Enterprise noted cheerfully, "Looks like your license is about to expire!"

Joy.

I promptly began to psych myself up for what would surely be a day not worthy of a Thankful Thursday shout-out.  And because misery loves company, co-workers were immediately notified about my unfortunate circumstance.

"Go to the Shelby County DMV.  No lines."

What?  How had the thousands of people like me, who've wasted hours of their lives, missed that memo?

Glory be, it is all true.

This morning it took me less than ten minutes, and that's even counting the few minutes that the printer was throwing a tantrum.  The kind DMV worker (that seems so oxymoronic, based on my experience) apologized for the delay.

"It can't be worse than the Jefferson County lines.  Take your time.  I'm good."

I'm so thankful to know of this local tip-off.  Tell people you love, friends.  It's not something to hide.

What's got you feeling thankful, and lowering your blood pressure?  Go on, be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment