Thursday, May 17, 2012

thankful thursday #78

Dear Crock Pot,

You know I've rebelled against you for many years.  Why, you ask?  Let me count the ways.

Philosophically, I'm a kitchen purist.  I don't like silly gadgets, or one-use appliances.  You are a one-use appliance.  I could never get on board.

Practically, you take up so much space in a cabinet, or worse, on a counter top.  Clutter and I don't do well together, so you've just never had a place in my world.

Physically, you're not attractive.  Even if I had the space, I wouldn't put you on display for all to see.  To be blunt, you're frumpy.

Your fan base, though, is hard to ignore.  It's crazy-big, and a little overbearing, actually.  People swear by you, and promise that once you're given the chance, there's no going back.  They are so loyal, those fans.

Today was a big day for you and me, though.  I borrowed you from a friend and volunteered to try this "Easy Pot Roast" recipe for some guests.  To say I was nervous all day long would be a vast understatement.

Frankly, I feared coming home eight hours later to a big hunk of raw meat.

But, you came through for me.  (Thanks for keeping your I-told-you-so's to yourself.)

Not only did you slow cook that roast to a fork-tender state, but my guests raved that it was very delicious.  That it looked like a roast that someone named Mamaw or Nana would prepare.

Here in the South, that's a hefty compliment.

And let me say, you could not have performed on a better day.  On this Thankful Thursday, I'm publicly thanking you for living up to your hype.  I'm very grateful our first meeting went well, and I vow to keep an open mind about you in the future.

Sincerely,
Robyn

P.S. Big shout-out to your people, who worked a deal with Reynolds on those slow-cooker liners!  Couldn't have asked for an easier clean-up.

2 comments:

  1. I am not ashamed to proclaim my love for the crock. Especially in the winter, there is nothing better to come home to than a hot meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes girl! Two words for you. Potato Soup.

    ReplyDelete