Thursday, October 13, 2011

thankful thursday #47

Tonight I hosted my Bible study gals for the first time since I got the fall itch, so it was time to whip up some comfort foods in honor of my favorite season.

Although rare to attempt in one day, and particularly for unsuspecting guests, I experimented with two new recipes.  And as I like to offer balance, that always means one savory and one sweet.

The savory is not yet ready to be published.  It needs some tweaking (Read: Needs more cheese and butter) before it's worthy to be shared.  But I'll keep working on that, and you stay tuned.

All you need to know for now is Cheesy Garlic Bread Goodness.

On the other hand, the sweet recipe of the night made the cut.  Short of buying prepared caramel dip in the store for your fall apples, this is the easiest apple dip you'll ever make:

Cinnamon Apple Dip

1 pkg. cream cheese (as always, I go with the whipped for easy mixing)
1/2 c. packed brown sugar (I used light, but I imagine dark is fine too)
1-2 tsp. cinnamon (however much tickles your taste buds)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Favorite apple slices (I'm a Granny Smith girl, all the way)

Mix together the cream cheese and brown sugar until well blended.  Add cinnamon and vanilla, and serve with apples.  (Side note: I made this ahead of time and popped it in the fridge overnight.  Best to take the chill off before serving, so it's super dippable.  No one likes a stiff dip.)

It's like eating cinnamon apples, but cream cheese and brown sugar really take it to the next level of glory.

And since that one was so darn easy, here's another apple one, just for kicks and giggles:

Fake Caramel Dipped Apples

Apple slices (again, go Granny!)
Prepared caramel dip (from the produce section usually, near the apples, go figure)
Crushed up peanuts

Chop up those apples into bite-sized pieces and put them in your favorite cereal bowl.  Drizzle them with caramel and sprinkle the peanuts on top.  It tastes just like those caramel and nut dipped apples on a stick, but waaay easier to eat.  Thank you, Nikol, for changing my world.

Gosh, I love fall!  Thankful for those oh-so-bearable temperatures outside.  Hot tea.  Danskos.  Apples.

What're the fall lovelies that make you happy?  Go on, be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment