Tuesday, October 11, 2011

the colla voce smack-down

I've mentioned before of my participation in Colla Voce, also known as, the choir that far exceeds my talent level.  It's a beautiful picture of personal humility.

We are in the throes of our fall season rehearsals, and we are under the direction of a new conductor.

In the transition from old director to new, it did not take long to realize that the two directors' styles are vastly different from each other, and I could only hope that his different pace -- this new process -- would culminate in a concert worthy of our congregation's time.

At some point along the way, I subconsciously decided to trust our leader.  To trust his knowledge.  To trust his method.  To trust his timing.

To let go of even the slightest idea that the old way -- the familiar way -- was better.

And then I got the big, red-letter spiritual smack-down: I'm like this all the time under the Lord's leadership.

Just today, I read this little nugget from a devotional called Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young:

Trust me enough to let things happen without striving to predict or control them.  Relax, and refresh yourself in the light of my everlasting love.  My love-light never dims, yet you are often unaware of my radiant presence.

When you project yourself into the future, rehearsing what you will do or say, you are seeking to be self-sufficient: to be adequate without my help.  This is a subtle sin -- so common that it usually slips by unnoticed.

I (obviously) could not have said it better myself.

3 comments:

  1. Jesus Calling is the devotional I'm using right now too! I'm really enjoying it. While being thoroughly convicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I so needed that right now. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog and am really looking forward to your Colla Voce concert on 11/29. I know it is going to be such a treat for you and your fellow singers, as well as, the concert goers too. Let the holiday seasons begin!

    ReplyDelete