Tuesday, November 9, 2010

ready to run

As I recently disclosed in humility, I’ve been down on my back (I never really understood that phrase before now) for the last couple of weeks (such misery).  What you haven’t had the great pleasure of reading about yet is the unfortunate water-skiing injury that rocked my world back in August. 
(Not to worry, I won’t take the time to do that now.  I fear writing about it will somehow channel the pain that I’m not prepared to handle.)
So the short story is, I’ve been on the mend for one reason or another for the past twelve weeks, and the extent of my physical activitiy has been only rehab exercises, as prescribed by a lot of knowledgeable and supportive family and friends.  (Yes, they are professionals.)
But running, weight-training, those things, they’ve been on the back burner.  Actually, that is a lie.  They've been off my radar completely.  And unfortunately, those activities are necessary in my world, so that I can eat the yummy food I love without having to buy a whole new wardrobe.
But alas, the time has come.  It’s time to start reconditioning the body, so that I can be a functioning thirty-something again.  Limping when I get out of bed in the mornings, busting out the heating pad at night, popping Advil like it’s candy – I’m just over it all.
Last week I felt physically well enough to begin easing myself back into the gym, and had mentally prepared myself so as to not be discouraged by just how far I have to go.  And whoah, it's far.
But I’m ready to run again.  And, dare I say it, I’m considering another half marathon.  (I’m not fully committed though, so please, let's not go forming a running accountability group or anything.)
Stay tuned.  Long way to go.

2 comments:

  1. Okay - first, LOVING the bloggage! Well-written (not surprising), honest and entertaining.

    Ease into your training regimen and revel in the fact that you are not a forty-something! LOL!

    Wishing well and blessings! -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kevin! I will keep you posted when you and your lovely wife are featured here. I feel one coming on ... :)

    ReplyDelete