Thursday, October 9, 2014

thankful thursday #201

In a span of the past week, I saw three movies in the theater. This never happens. Prior to that, I might have been to the theater three times in the past 12 months.

One of the movies was The Good Lie, the inspired true story of refugees orphaned during the Civil war of Sudan in 1983. It follows their long journey on foot to a refugee camp, their long wait to be given a second chance in the United States, and their long process of assimilation here fifteen years later.

I'm the first to confess to being a sap over a movie with inspirational undertones. Characters who overcome hardship, they get me every time.

During The Good Lie, the ugly girl cry happened. Couldn't be contained. I felt sick about the injustice endured by the Sudanese in their own country, but watching their struggles in a foreign land -- the land of the home and the brave -- it was too much.

I was guilt-ridden over my life of abundance, safety, and comfort. And embarrassed at how distant and detached we are as a nation from those less fortunate.

Lord, give us gratitude for where we are, and hearts to see those who hunger and thirst for the things we have and yet so easily forget.

See this movie. You won't have a choice but to go on and be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment