Thursday, October 24, 2013

thankful thursday #153

Just over a year ago, I had this awkward conversation that, along with other personal experiences, got me thinking hard about the issue of church segregation.

About how, if I feel like the church has cordoned off the single population, or the young families demographic, or the senior adults, then I should think about my part in bridging those gaps.

In other words, what was I doing in my own life to better connect to people outside my so-called category of friends?

I wasn't doing much, unfortunately. So I decided to pray more intentionally for opportunities to visit with other people, specifically women older than me, outside my group of single friends. And even more specifically, married women, because they are the ones with whom I often feel the most disconnected.

I need to be challenged in that way: to relate to women that I wrongly assume are incapable of discussing anything other than their families.

And so the process began, and the Lord has been faithful to introduce some new friendships in my life, slowly, and gently, over a period of many months.

Tonight I spent the most delightful two hours with one of these women, and oh, I am grateful for it. It was surprising and unexpected, but I am hopeful it is the beginning of many more hours to soak in some stimulating conversation.

There is so much to learn, and wisdom to glean, from the people living very different lives than we do. Here's to de-segregating!

Do you have a friend like that? Go on, be grateful for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment