Friday, October 11, 2013

friday lagniappe

Right after I graduated from college, I lived in New Orleans for nine months. That place simply bursts with personality and charm, and in the most endearing way, it's laced with a little bit of crazy.

I loved those people! They are warm, social, and know how to celebrate anything well.

Their accents are thick and varied, although not especially Southern, and I never got past the ways of their language. They'd say:

"I have to be at the stadium for 6:00." (Why not "at" or "by?" Never understood that preposition choice.)

A serve-your-own dinner was boofay style, and if you ordered a po' boy at a restaurant, the waitress asked if you wanted it "dressed" (translated: with lettuce, tomato and mayo).

The ladies in my office would regularly "make groceries" (a.k.a., going to the grocery store).

"Lagniappe" might've been my favorite nugget of vocabulary; it means something extra given, for free, and for good measure. Like the 13th beignet in a baker's dozen.

Or in my case, it's something extra on the blog that has no real substance, other than, just wanted to share it. For free. For you!

So, some random Friday lagniappe for you:
  • Have you seen The Butler yet? It's old news now, but it is so. good. Sort of Forrest Gump meets The Help. And I wept in all of the above. If you haven't already, consider this my glowing recommendation and go see it!

  • For you gals with longer hair, do you have one of these curling wands? I was a skeptic, but it's pretty great! If you can successfully avoid the flesh burns, the curls are lovely.

  • At the end of September, I considered doing a 31-day blog challenge in October, with one post every day of the month about one topic. What a joke that was. And the right decision to not commit.

  • I think these shopping bags are just the cutest! Wouldn't they make groceries so much more fun?
Happy Friday, folks! I hope it's filled with people you love, and a little lagniappe for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment