Thursday, July 19, 2012

thankful thursday #87

I'm a scripture underliner.

Sometimes it's a verse that gives me the warm and fuzzies, sometimes it's a verse that punches me in the gut, and sometimes it's a verse that straight cuts me off at the knees.

Tonight in some reflections on God's steadfast faithfulness to His people over hundreds of thousands of years, my accountability gals and I were reminded that He also wants us to remember that He is the source of all things good in this world (Deut. 8:18).

Flipping through the thin pages of the Old Testament, my mind and fingers drifted back just two chapters before, where I knew this verse waited for me, highlighted in blue:

"When the Lord your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to give you -- a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant -- then when you eat and are satisfied, be careful that you do not forget the Lord, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."
-- Deut. 6:10-12

That's like an old friend speaking a hard truth, isn't it? 

Just remember, anything good you ever experience sure isn't because of anything you did.

It was good to revisit that old friend, and to remember the season when the Lord spoke that verse to my heart.

There's nothing fancy about this Thankful Thursday; just a simple gratitude for a little blue highlighter that has guided me on some sweet walks down Memory Lane.

What are you appreciating this week?  Go on, be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment