Wednesday, March 21, 2012

book it

I don't prefer to read multiple books at one time; it makes me feel like there are incomplete to-do list items, and well, that's just not my M.O.

Of late, however, I've been bouncing between for-real books (love the smell of those pages!) and e-books (love the convenience when I'm flying all over God's creation!).

Here's what's been capturing my attention in 2012:

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand


This is old news, but what a great read!  I put this one off for about a year because I typically don't love historical non-fiction, but I'm so glad I bit the bullet.  I physically cringed more times than I can count during this book.  It's hard to read about POWs, and the unspeakable treatment they endured, but it was worth it in the end.  Louie Zamperini's story gave me a renewed appreciation for our soldiers today, and for the ones who've fought so hard for us over the years.

Gospel Wakefulness by Jared Wilson


The American church could use a kick in the pants, and this book issues an urgent plea to believers, to be aroused from our lukewarm slumber, and into a place where the Gospel is everything.  In particular, I appreciated the balance of a deep love of Christ's church with the unwillingness to accept the passionless culture it has fostered.

The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks


I love a good love story.  So sue me.  Ever since a friend introduced me to The Notebook over ten years ago, I've been hooked on Nicholas.  They are feel-good reads, not difficult, and hopeless romances.  Of all his books, and believe me, I've read them all, this would land close to the bottom.  Maybe I'm bored; maybe his originality is waning; I don't know.  I'm not giving up on him, though.

If My Body Is a Temple, Then I Was a Megachurch by Scott Davis


Praise God, I'm not looking to lose 132 pounds!  Last week, a friend from here tipped me off that it was free for the Kindle, so I snagged it up.  It was a great weekend read for my flights to see Little Man.  He's a comedian, so I giggled a lot, but he's also a serious evangelist, and I was pleased to see sound scriptural references for this man's impressive journey to a healthier life.

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg


I'm mid-way through this one.  I love learning about how brains work and how people are motivated, so this one is right up my alley.  The author is a staff writer for The New York Times, and the subject matter is the science of habit formation as it relates to individuals, organizations, and societies.  One thing I'm enjoying about this book so far is this guy's ability to present scientific information in a way that even I can understand.  That's saying a lot.

Next in my reading queue is Quiet by Susan Cain.


I can't wait to learn why introverts like myself are so awesome.

What are you reading these days?  Gimme, gimme those recommendations!

2 comments:

  1. I'm still giggling over the Temple/Mega-Church book title. Ah, so very clever.

    I love reading your summaries and hope to borrow some of these when I finish the books in my queue (aka 2013).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quiet sounds like a great read. I'm so glad you loved Unbroken. That book moved me in a way that hasn't happened in a very long time.

    These are the books currently in my queue:

    Naked Spirituality: A Life With God in 12 Simple Words - Brian Mclaren

    You Lost Me: Why Young Christians are Leaving Church...and Rethinking Faith - David Kinnaman

    ReplyDelete