Wednesday, August 10, 2011

peru: a testimony

Four folks on our mission team were asked to share a brief testimony at our victory celebration at the end of the week.

Each one was only three minutes, and since it was being translated, only about ninety seconds in reality.

Here was one near and dear to my heart:

My name is Robyn, and I don't speak Spanish.  I have no medical training.  And I've never been to seminary for formal theological education.

But I came here anyway, with a bunch of doctors, nurses, and pharmacists; with folks who speak Spanish fluently; and with people who have spent years studying the Bible.

I'd like to quickly share with you how I was touched this week, in spite of all that, and how anyone -- even someone like me -- can leave here a little more spiritually "grown up."

When we opened the clinic every morning with music, singing with people who don't look like us or talk like us, I saw a small glimpse of what it will look like one day, when all nations and tongues will bow together and confess Jesus as Lord.

When we served as a team together in the clinic, I felt a little bit of the joy Jesus feels when He sees His body functioning in unity, loving His people.

On the other hand, the first time I shared the Gospel this week, the woman sitting across from me was distracted and unreceptive.  In a very small way, I sensed a rejection that Jesus feels when people don't choose Him.  Or worse, when His children are too distracted to listen and hear Him.

So on two ends of the spectrum, this week has given me a chance to feel what Jesus feels, and to see people the way He sees us.

I'm grateful to have "grown up" with y'all this week!

Nothing fancy, really.  But a perspective deeply impacted, hopefully for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment