Saturday, July 30, 2011

snapshots from peru

I've been stateside for four days.

Although my heart isn't fully here, my body is slowly yielding to a routine, and my highlight list has officially begun ...

most necessary resource in the peruvian culture
Solid translators.  I sure do miss these gals.



most tragic attempt to embrace peruvian culture
Singing praise and worship songs to open the clinic every morning with the locals ... in Spanish.  Despite some talented leaders, we never did quite hit our stride.

sweetest honor
Sharing our faith with the Peruvian people (made possible by those fabulous translators, by the way).



best item packed in my bags
Good ol' toilet paper.  Never a guarantee in that country.  (For that matter, toilets are never a guarantee, but that's another story.)

least qualified candidates to work in the eye clinic



least favorite peruvian food
Guinea pig.



I'm an adventurous eater, but the guinea pig toes hanging off my plate were just too much.


most breathtaking view



Kels and I in the Colca Valley at about 12,000 feet, just before the canyon begins.

biggest bonehead move
Leaving my debit card in the Chivay, Peru, ATM.  I felt better, though, to find out the next morning I wasn't the only one.



the number one reason we all made it home in one piece
Our fearless leader, Dr. Bill.



If not for his diagrams, lists, schedules, and thorough instructions, we seriously would never have made it.

And so we're home, processing emotions, sharing photos, and missing people far away.

But our stories are far from over!

No comments:

Post a Comment