Monday, May 16, 2011

i sent myself flowers

I have a slew of great friends.  I've mentioned some on occasion, and how they're very cool people, because I'm only friends with cool people.

One of my childhood friends sends me hand-written thank you notes, Valentine's cards, Easter cards regularly.  And she doesn't just sign her name, either.  There's always a cherished note that's she's taken some time to write.  I just opened one from her in the mail today, in fact.  It gave my Monday a little lift.

Another one of my friends calls me sometimes for shoe advice.  I mean, I love shoes, but I am no fashionista. Or she'll tell me, "I wish you were here to help me decorate."  She says that to me, the girl who will wait months to make a furniture purchase, and only for the perfect bargain.  She's a good friend, to make me feel like I'm way more sophisticated than I am.

I have a spontaneous friend who has never run a half marathon in her life, but is traveling to Providence (yes, Rhode Island) this summer with me to do it.  How fun is that?  I love a little adventurous spirit, don't you?

And this other friend I have, she told me tonight she sent flowers to herself.

Let that sink in, people.

She sent flowers to herself!

Is that not the most fantastic thing you've ever heard?  She has done what single girls think about doing, but never really do.  I love her for it.

Now, this isn't a direct quote, but trust me, I'm accurately representing the train of thought here:

"Well, it's been a down week, and no one else is going to do it, and I can afford it, and I had a coupon, so why not?  They're coming to my office on Thursday, when I will have probably forgotten I even ordered them, and they will make me happy, and I can enjoy them all weekend.  And they are red, so they will look great in my remodeled living room."

I'm telling y'all.  My friends are keepers.

No comments:

Post a Comment