Monday, May 9, 2011

homage to city bagel

I’ve been burning up the roads between Birmingham and Starkville this past week, playing realtor.  (Well, only twice, but it feels like much more than that.)
In between house showings, I’m frequenting my most favorite cafe of all time, City Bagel Café.
Besides my house, and the great people of Starkville, this is the one place I miss more than any other establishment.  I can't tell you how many meals I've eaten here.

The owners Joe and Mary run such a relaxed place, where the food is fresh, and where they know your name when you come often enough (which I did).
Its familiarity is mutual.  They know that my regular order changes with the seasons; I know the system well enough to know exactly how to order, so they don't have to ask me the prompting questions:
Pastrami and provolone on focaccia, toasted and steamed.
Mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, and a little bit of onion.
A bag of Zapp's, and tap water.
That'll be for here, and my name is Robyn
Their menu is varied, and perhaps overwhelming for the rookies, but you really just can't go wrong.  Breakfast sandwiches, delicious muffins (their chocolate chip is the best ever!), homemade focaccia bread for sandwiches, freshly made soups and quiches, and the list goes on!
And then for special occasions (or let's be honest, just because you feel like it is reason enough), they bake up these sinful glories called “energy bars,” which are certifiably terrible for you.  They’re like Hello Dollies, but better, because I think they use more butter and sugar to make their graham cracker crust super thick and chewy.

So, if you're ever in the neighborhood, do stop in.  You won't be disappointed!  In the meantime, bake yourself some Hello Dollies, but just know this recipe will not -- I repeat, will not -- do justice to the City Bagel Energy Bar.
Hello Dollies
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 c. sugar
1 can condensed milk
2 c. chocolate chips & butterscotch chips, combined
1 1/3 c. coconut
1 c. chopped nuts
  1. Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter.  Press into bottom of greased 9 x 13 pan.
  2. Pour about 1/4 can condensed milk over crust.
  3. Layer chips, coconut and nuts on top.
  4. Pour remaining condensed milk evenly over top.
  5. Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
Happy Monday, y'all.  Hope your week is sweeter than that Energy Bar I just enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment