Friday, August 1, 2014

marinate on it

I need to let that marinate.

I say that a lot. Before I'm ready to take a stance, or make a decision, or form an opinion, or what have you.

It's a slow processor's way of saying, I'm not ready. I need more time.

It's a way for clarity and discernment take root, and for time and space to work their magic.

I love to marinate a good piece of meat, too, and I've tried a slew of techniques. I'm recently obsessed with this one, because it's so darn easy. The chicken turns the most picturesque golden brown, it's tender and juicy, and has the perfect balance of sweet and savory.

Easiest Grilled Chicken Marinade
Serves 6-8

1 c. brown sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. soy sauce (reduced sodium)
1/2 c. white vinegar
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Whisk together brown sugar, oil, soy sauce and vinegar (or use your blender, if you want to clean it, blah), and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Pour mixture over chicken placed in either a covered dish or a Ziplock bag, and allow to marinate for 6-8 hours, turning at least once.

Heat grill on high heat for 5 minutes. Place chicken breasts on grill, then reduce heat to medium. Grill for about 6-7 minutes on each side, or until chicken is cooked through (I usually go rogue and just cut into it to check for doneness).

Let the chicken rest for about ten minutes before serving or slicing. I usually eat one for my dinner, and then chop up the rest to eat on sandwiches and salads for the rest of the week. (Pour the juices into your leftover container, so the chicken stays nice and juicy. So good.)

Whether you marinate mentally, or just in the kitchen, try this one. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment