Monday, August 25, 2014

baron fig

Of late, I've been on a mad hunt for the perfect to-do-list-holder and note-taker. I was hankering for a "planner" that gives me some flexibility, but that has plenty of pages for meeting notes, random ideas, and sporadic jots.

No pre-made calendar pages or ruled paper inserts would do.

Here were the preferred criteria:
  1. Dimensions around 8" x 5"
  2. An elastic strap closure
  3. Blank paper (i.e., no lines, no dots, no grids)
  4. Smooth and stately paper
  5. Visually beautiful
I was close to going with a Moleskine, like this ...


... but frankly, I didn't want to be like everyone else. And that guy's kinda stuffy, I think.

And then my research yielded something else that intrigued me, something different and classy: the Baron Fig Confidant.


Here's how he stacked up to my wish list:

Dimensions are 7.5" x 5.25". I quite like that it's a little wider than the 5"-wide Moleskine.

It comes with blank, lined, or dotted paper. And that blank paper, oh, it is fine. Smooth and ivory.


It only comes in one color, and if it were black, I'd not have tolerated it. But it's this very chic silverish-grayish-pewterish linen, which I believe whispers, "I'm unique."


There is no elastic closure, which was a definite con, and a criterion I wasn't sure I could compromise.

But this sealed the deal for me:


It opens flat. FLAT. No flipping.

So at a very reasonable $16, I decided he was worth a shot, and so far, I'm glad I did.


If you're in the market for a journal of any sort, give Baron Fig a chance.

If nothing else, you'll feel very hip for trying it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment