Thursday, September 19, 2013

thankful thursday #148

When I was little, I spent lots of mornings at tennis courts, while my mom played matches, or practiced with friends.

Sometimes I'd perch in the umpire chair; it was such a grown-up view. Other times I'd venture out to collect tennis balls that had been lost in bushes, under bleachers, behind walls, over who-knows-how-many months. I'd earn a nickel for every ball I found.

Eventually I started hitting with Mom after her matches, and as I got older, played on my own teams, and under coaches that were not my mom. As an adult, I've played sporadically on community teams, and enjoyed some very fun people while doing it.

Tennis courts have held fond memories for me.

I've not played regularly in a few years, but was inspired by a recent birthday gift to hop back onto the courts. So I scheduled a lesson for this week at my gym.

I knew it would not be pretty. I really did.

I was not, however, prepared for the pro to say this to me on a water break:

You don't look very good. Is your hand shaking?

(Yes, yes, it is.)

My heart rate had not seen a number that high, probably since I ran endless suicides on the courts in high school. My muscles are beyond sore; I know this because blow drying my hair is a challenge.

Not. Prepared.

And even still, it was fun to be back on the court, working my strokes again, and getting some instruction. I'm thankful today that I survived that lesson, and for all those memories made at the courts growing up.

What memories are you appreciating this week? Go on, be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment