Sunday, June 10, 2012

a dang tasty cookie

I am on this mad hunt for the perfect oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe.

And when I say "mad hunt," I haven't tried to make nearly as many as you might think. 

Okay, I've tried one, and it was a disaster.  I just haven't gotten my nerve up to try another one.  I'll tell you, it's a colossal waste of time when a cookie recipe goes awry.

One day this past week -- in an airport killing time, I'm certain -- I was perusing my Food Gawker app (if you don't have this and you love to cook, get it pronto!), and stumbled upon this cookie recipe.

It's not oatmeal chocolate chip, but it looked DT (code for dang tasty, which goes way back to my college days when I abbreviated all sorts of sayings with my friend Brad).

So I whipped them up tonight, in my traditional wind-down-from-travel-recipe-experiment, and they did not disappoint.  They're chewy and chock-full of delicious surprises.

And speaking of surprises, the name of the cookie is a little curious, because there is no dark chocolate in it, but here it is, verbatim.  My experiential notes are at the bottom.

Walnut Coconut Dark Chocolate Cookies

1/2 c. butter, room temperature
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
*1 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chunks (I used chips, because it's what I had)
*1 1/2 c. coconut flakes
*1 1/2 c. walnut pieces

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2.  
  3. Using a beater, mix the butter, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and eggs until creamy.
  4.  
  5. In a different bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt together thoroughly.
  6.  
  7. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture until well blended.
  8.  
  9. Add the chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts and combine.
  10.  
  11. Scoop spoonfuls of batter onto a cookie sheet.  Bake for about 8-10 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies, until the tops are slightly golden.**
* I found these amounts to be a lot, but maybe that was because I'm a wuss on stirring thick cookie batter?  I don't know.  I used about a cup of each, probably.

** I love a chewy cookie, so I was good with them being a little bit underdone.  When they cooled, they were perfect-o.  If you like a crispy, dry, burned cookie though, bake away.

I was a cooking fool today, and also hit the jackpot on some grown-up macaroni and cheese that was easy and scrumptious.  I'll post that recipe later this week.

Have a happy Monday, friends!

1 comment:

  1. I have the recipe for a perfect oatmeal chocolate chip cookie - do you want the recipe?

    Also semi-sweet chocolate chips are dark chocolate.

    Email me if you want me to send you the recipe. I will! brownpaperandstrings@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete