Wednesday, November 25, 2015

the time i did whole30

Yesterday was Day 30 of my Whole30 experiment.

There is no need to explain what that is, because listen, there are a bazillion websites and blog posts that do that well enough. The program's basic rules from the actual source are here, for those interested.

On those bazillion websites and blog posts, there are stories of motivations and results and lessons as wide-ranging as the personalities of the people who participate. Not so surprising.

Also not surprising, I have my own takeaways, and sometimes I need to get all the abstract in my brain out into the written word, and into order. So here we go.

why i did it 

a simple experiment //  I read It Starts With Food this past summer in about a day-and-a-half, sitting on the beach. I don't know why I found it all so fascinating, but I did. I wondered if I could do it, doubtful I could ever eliminate dairy from my diet for even a day, because me and cheese. We are tight. But for about the twelve previous months, I'd overhauled my eating habits, and felt like dairy could potentially still be a stronghold. In many ways, this was a simple experiment to see if that was the case.

an exercise in discipline //  Years ago I was notorious for extreme new year's resolutions, but lately, not so much. I have trained for half marathons before, and lately, not so much. These kinds of physical disciplines are helpful to me, and while they're hard, I miss them when I'm not practicing them. Thirty days seemed like a reasonable period to exercise this particular discipline.

why i didn't do it

to lose weight //  There were no scales involved before, during, or after the thirty days, and I only measured results by how I felt.

the hardest part

game days, parties, and generally being social //  When I'm working a football game day, I am a sucker for a chicken tender. It was tough to pass those by for four weeks. There was also a party I attended where the food spread was sheer torture. Party food is my favorite, so munching on the sad, raw vegetables without hummus or dip or anything good felt like a very sick joke. When I met friends for dinner, I ordered a salad with no cheese, bacon or croutons and took my own Whole30-compliant salad dressing. A little embarrassing, but not the end of the world.
 
what surprised me

it's not that hard //  It just really wasn't. I loved eating big meals, three times a day. I loved trying new recipes, and new foods I'd previously been nervous to try. (Ghee just sounds creepy.) Now prior to these thirty days, I wasn't eating fast food and the likes every day, so perhaps my habits weren't so hard to break. But really, to quote the book, It is not hard. Beating cancer is hard. Birthing a baby is hard. Losing a parent is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard. That's truth, people. Perspective is everything.

i did not experience unlimited energy //  Of all of the testimonials I read, 90% of them told of boundless energy, beginning around Day 15. Waking up before one's alarm kind of energy. I didn't have that. I'm not sure I'll ever experience that, for any reason. I did not feel sluggish, but I certainly still rely on my alarm.

reverse cravings //  My cheese cravings, which I thought would be unbearable, were practically non-existent, and still are. My sweet tooth, which previously was mostly non-existent, unexpectedly reared its ugly head. I wanted to face plant into a bucket of chocolate chip cookie dough. I haven't yet, but I might do it soon.

what i learned

there is sugar in everything //  When you can eat nothing with added sugar, and you're reading labels like a crazy person, you discover a whole lot of food has a whole lot of sugar. I will probably always read labels moving forward. It's astonishing.

there is freedom in not counting anything //  With the exception of some basic guidelines on how much protein to eat per meal, there is no counting anything. I felt liberated from the bondage of counting calories, trying to hit macro-nutrient percentages, and weighing food portions. It was glorious.

my tips for success 

read the book //  You can learn enough information to successfully complete the program from online sources (and the aforementioned bazillion websites and blog posts), but you may not understand the whys of it all without reading the book. I felt well equipped with knowledge throughout the thirty days, confident in what was allowed, and what wasn't.

choose wisely your 30 days //  It is no accident that my thirty days ended two days before Thanksgiving. You will likely not avoid every dinner out with friends, but doing this challenge over a vacation or holiday is asking for a fail. Be smart about your timing, and you'll be better prepared to win.
 
meal planning is king //  Over the previous year, I had made a concerted effort to plan and prepare my meals so I wouldn't rely on fast food in a pinch, or eat out for no reason. So for Whole30, this was not a hard shift for me, but I know it was a big part of helping me stay disciplined. It took the guesswork out of what was in my food.

find favorites before you start //  Pinterest and Google will yield so many recipes and meal ideas, your head will want to explode. But, do a brief dress rehearsal ahead of time to identify a couple of dishes that you like. You can rely on those when you need a boost. I had a handful of recipes that I loved to cook, but I also convenience items in my freezer that were good in a pinch.

get a buddy //  A friend and I tackled this together. Our conversations for thirty days were Whole30-centric, and while slightly obsessive, necessary. We compared tips, recipes, and general frustrations. And we shared countdown chains.




what i'll do now

feast //  The book encourages a period of calculated re-introduction of foods, in order to identify specific ways those foods impact your body. I will not participate in this method, for I will be feasting with my family on outrageous amounts of gluten and sugar. Because Thanksgiving. It's what we do.

balance //  Then I will feel terrible, because that's what gluten and sugar do for me, and I will re-calibrate. It will take me some time to strike the balance, but I imagine I will eat with heightened awareness and choose my indulgences carefully. There's wisdom in moderation, but also in fueling my body well.

Have you tried Whole30? What were your takeaways?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment