Tuesday, August 11, 2015

i'm obsessed with these shrimp

Recently a couple of girlfriends and I spent a weekend in a small town tucked in the mountains of north Georgia. It's not a place to which one goes to be seen; it's a place to enjoy the view, stay in my pajamas all day, and nap for no reason other than because I feel like it.

Now I do love a fine restaurant experience, but in these times (and tiny towns), I love to cook and stay cozy at the cabin.

This dish is one I'd made several times before, but it was especially perfect for this trip. The ingredients are easily packable (no grocery store run needed), it only takes 30 minutes from start to finish, and there are zero leftovers. Ever.

Since then, I've cooked this dish a gazillion times and can't get enough. It's wicked-easy, but has just enough sophistication to jazz up a routine weeknight.

Garlicky Baked Shrimp
Serves 2-4

1 lb. large or extra large shrimp, peels and tails removed
3 Tbsp. white cooking wine
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper
4 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 c. Panko bread crumbs
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees, and grease a small casserole (I use an 8" square).

  2. In a bowl, combine shrimp, wine and garlic, and toss to coat. Spread shrimp evenly in the baking dish, and season with salt and pepper.

  3. In a small bowl, use a fork to mix melted butter, Panko bread crumbs, and parsley. Top the shrimp with the Panko mixture.

  4. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and opaque.

I love to serve this with steamed broccoli and a green salad, to keep things super simple. Prepare those sides while the shrimp bake, and everything comes out ready to go at the same time.

And some other tips, because I can't help but over-share:

"Serves 2-4" is a joke. I could eat the entire pound of shrimp myself, so you'll need to adjust for your crowd. Seriously, these shrimp are like candy.

As for the shrimp, I've used frozen and fresh, depending on whatever is on sale, and both are fine. Just get large or extra large. 

So I can have the ingredients always handy (except for the shrimp), I use a parsley herb blend that comes in a refrigerated tube, like this:

You can find it in your grocery store's herb section, and it's an even substitute. Easy peasy.

That is all. Now go treat yourself to an easy and delicious meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment