Wednesday, May 28, 2014

right about now (the one where italy feels like a dream)

Since I've been home from Italy, there are these wonderful scenes and sites, and characters and conversations, from those two weeks that are tucked away in the back of my mind, and that, in a way, feel like a dream.

They are real, those memories, but now that I have slipped successfully back into my routine, I feel them fighting against my normal, to keep their "real" status.

So, while my real vacation is feeling like an imaginary one, here are some highlights to share from my back-home normal, dusted with some Italy memories, right about now.

loving: being back in my kitchen. I certainly did not miss my home-cooked meals while I was away, but I did miss weaving my way around my own kitchen, making something from scratch.

reading: The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. The title sounds pretty scandalous, but so far, it's just a mysterious set of unrelated stories that haven't found themselves at a climactic intersection yet. It's a welcomed easy read, following The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. (I'm embarrassed to say how long it took me to finish that one.)

excited about: the fact that I'm not the only thirty-something to sleep -- and travel 'round the world -- with my baby blankets.



We are kindred in many ways, not the least of which is the matching holes in our blankets.

missing: these gals.


And the places we visited. Can you even get over that glorious blue water?

trying to: be a good roommate. I haven't been one in a very long time, so it's been a healthy challenge to live in consideration of someone else, even if only for a short-term season.


enjoying: some news that one of the nicest people I know became reconciled with his former wife in a divine remarriage ceremony this past weekend. Mercy, I love watching the Lord do his restoration work this side of heaven.

wearing: red Toms.



The green ones I packed on a whim surprised me and served me well on those long cobblestone streets, but they were officially retired upon my return. Literally went straight from the suitcase into the trash can. So gross.

waiting on: the perfect occasion to serve the greatest cheese board ever to be presented in my home. These cheeses from Italy are dying to be shared, but I just can't reconcile their sacredness with my desire to eat it all by myself. I am greedy with cheese; what can I say?

planning: a trip to the hometown for several reasons, not the least of which is to attend a concert of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, featuring Joshua Bell on violin. Do you know him? So talented.

singing: along to a few tunes by Sarah Reeves. I don't know a thing about her, but I'm digging on her acoustic arrangements of "Take Me to the King," "Sovereign," and "Holy Spirit/Set a Fire." They're so grounding.

needing: to organize all these Italy photos. My stars, we have thousands between the eight of us! This photo book is going to be a doozy, but how can I leave out a shot like this?



learning: calligraphy. I took my first lesson last night. There is something very cathartic about free flowing ink on paper.

listening: to the report that Serena Williams lost in the French Open. I'm not sad about it.

wishing: I was energized by running. I'm slowly getting back into a rhythm, but the getting there is so exhausting.

praying for: some movement. A spark. Sometimes it's nice to feel a shift from the same-old everyday affairs.

dreaming of: that crazy trip to Italy! But it really happened.

These are the goings on in my world, and a few of my favorite Italy highlights, right about now. What's happening in yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment