Sunday, June 9, 2013

eat your greens

I enjoy spinach. But I should eat more.

Especially these days, as I've been running a little bit. The more miles I run, the more I justify carb-loading as acceptable.

It's not. Not the way I eat carbs, anyway. Because there is no moderation with me and carbs.

So for dinner tonight, I was inspired to eat some greens, and to give this spinach dish a try, which I've been eyeing of late. It's a knock-off of creamed spinach, and maybe somewhere closer to a spinach soufflé, but it isn't heavy, because there's more spinach and onion than creamy goodness.

That's enough green to make me feel better about myself.

Spinach Casserole
Serves 4

1 lb. bag frozen leaf spinach, thawed
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 Tbsp. EVOO
3/4 c. Greek yogurt
1/4 c. mayonnaise
2 eggs, beaten
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. grated mozzarella cheese
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

  2. Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet on medium heat, and sauté onions about 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.

  3. While onions cook, drain spinach by twisting dry in a dish towel. It's the only way to really get all that excess water out. Trust me.

  4. In a large bowl, mix together yogurt, mayonnaise, eggs, garlic, salt, nutmeg, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Add onions and spinach, and combine well.

  5. Grease a small casserole dish -- a 1 1/2 quart dish will suffice -- and pour in the spinach mixture. Top with mozzarella cheese, and bake for about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment