Thursday, September 24, 2015

thankful thursday #230

Two weekends ago I worked a very late football game in my old stomping grounds at Mississippi State. When I left the stadium at 1:30 in the morning, I loaded my car and pulled out of the parking space, only to discover (quickly) that my tire was flat.

Not low. Flat.

Three twenty-something men loading up their tailgate nearby came to my rescue and replaced the flat with my spare before I could ask for help. Their dads meandered over -- tailgating is a family affair -- and supervised, chatted with me about the game, and offered an air compressor to check the air pressure before they left.

Now listen. This was a well-lit area, fans were still waiting for traffic to clear, and I had friends and colleagues with me. I was not in danger.

But oh, to be reminded that there are still good people out there, sober after an SEC football game, and willing to help out a single gal.

As I drove off campus, I literally said aloud, God bless Mississippi men. I loved that they knew how to change the tire in the first place, they offered and were genuinely happy to help, and they didn't mind getting dirty.

Those men made their wives proud that early morning outside Davis Wade Stadium.

And they made me thankful.

Have you had a stranger lend a helping hand? Go on, be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment